Monday, March 16, 2009

Forks in the Road

I have been conspicuously silent in recent weeks – a posture I have embraced for a number of reasons. First of all, I have become tired of myself and burdened by the weight of my own perspectives. Secondly, after 4 years of posting I had finally been verbally roughed-up by a few not-so-like-minded visitors who are philosophically and politically positioned on the other side of the Jordan. Frankly, for the most part, I enjoyed the duels and have spent some of the previous weeks fighting the good fight for that which I believe. However, at this juncture, no matter how much common ground I have attempted to establish, I have concluded that neither side has given an inch – other than the fact that my adversaries think I’m a reasonable guy because I have often expressed my distaste for and rejection of Rush Limbaugh as one who speaks for me. But on larger issues of social challenges, cultural woes, economics, the direction of our country and the myriad reasons for our current position in the world, I have confronted little but harshness, anger, finger pointing, outrage, blame-placing screamers – on both sides of the issues. One gentleman who has engaged me in civil debate goes by the initials CJP and has a blog entitled ‘Conservatives are the Real Terrorists.’ If you are a right-leaning person and wish to keep your blood pressure in a good place I suggest you refrain from visiting this site. I happen to like CJP but I’ve yet to agree with anything he has posted – except that he was one of the folks who seemed titillated by my disdain for The Loud Mouth. CJP will not give an inch to conservatism. Everything he states is leftist propaganda, but I know he believes it. If CJP is correct in his view of our country then these things are accurate: all conservatives are racist, Obama is the new FDR, spending our way out of this current economic crisis is the appropriate response, the GOP is in suicide mode, Obama is the Messiah, Affirmative Action is to be praised, anyone who uses the name Hussein in association with our president should be shunned and Obama will be re-elected in a landslide in 2012 (exit polls show.) This is just scratching the surface. I have responded with pounding heart to many of CJP’s posts. He has friends and detractors. I do not wish to promote his blog site here; I simply cite it as a reason for the direction I choose to take for the future – assuming there is a future for this Journal.
I can no longer participate in the street fight. There is more outrage in our country that I ever imagined. There is no coming together. Lines are drawn and people are absolutely fed up, pissed off, hard-hearted, ready to fight, unmoving and prepared to take it to the streets. Some form of revolution is brewing. In a civilized society it is difficult to predict how long patience will resist the inevitable. But I choose to move away.
In some profound and sincere reaction to all of this I have heard my soul say, ‘This is not your place. Move out of the fray.’ I know that sounds bizarre but no more bizarre than that which I am reading and hearing in the blogosphere. It’s crazy out there, folks. Crazy.
Finally, I think I am running fast back to faith; faith that promises a good ending; faith that tells me humankind will not work it out themselves – a fact I wish to reject but cannot, based on reality; a faith that suggests there is, indeed, good and evil; a faith that beckons me to not be anxious or concerned about tomorrow; a faith based on peace that passes all understanding.
What you read here in the future will have a different tone. I will continue fighting the good fight but my weapons shall be swords beaten into plowshares. I trust I shall be enjoined in the battle. 

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

Very well said Thom. I will be reading your blog regularly from now on.

March 16, 2009 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Thom Schuyler said...

Thanks Matthew. I welcome your comments, perspective and friendship.

March 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home