Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mac Snobs & Jobs

I am not a Mac snob. They exist, I know. I am not one. I couldn’t care less what type of computer operating system you choose, the brand name you’ve picked or the size of your RAM. Frankly, if you don’t own a computer I hold you in high regard on a number of levels. I own (or have purchased) an embarrassing number of computers since our first one sometime in the late 1980’s. It began with a fascination for this new gizmo that was once the size of a gymnasium but was now able to sit on a desktop – thus the name. It could calculate, catalogue, print, store, file and assist you with all manner of correspondence, bookkeeping and games. (Every family with a child was foolish if they had not purchased this most useful educational hardware to help their little brainiacs prepare to go to MIT.) That first computer we bought was a ‘no-name,’ - put-together-components built by a friend of a friend with Microsoft applications within a Personal Computer Operating System and it functioned quite well. Since then I have owned 2 Dells, 1 Gateway and an IBM. I can’t say that I disliked any of them although the all-in-one-color printer/fax/copy/toaster/microwave that came in the Dell bundle was simply awful. Anyway, just before the turn of the century (that has a new meaning for some of us, does it not) my attention turned toward those cute and colorful iMacs that appeared on the scene manufactured by Apple/MacIntosh. I bought one – a Blueberry – and I got hooked on the Mac Operating System. Since that initial ‘Mac’ purchase I have added an eMac, a MacBook for myself, a MacBook for our daughter and one of the more recent versions of the iMac desktop – an absolutely stellar computer – to our Apple arsenal. I continue to use all of them. The reason I even outline my brief and shallow history in the world of computers is this: I just went to The Apple Store in my neighborhood for assistance in repairing a software problem that was caused by operator error; I, of course, being the operator. Yesterday I logged onto their local web site and booked an appointment for 4:00 PM this afternoon. The store was packed when I arrived with about 40 individuals hanging around ‘The Genius Bar’ waiting to have a few minutes with the Mac Magicians. But I had an appointment. I arrived at 3:55 and as I approached the hapless and helpless masses one of the Geniuses announced, ‘Tom S – 4:00 PM appointment.’ I walked through the crowd, took a seat at The Genius Bar and felt prince-like. I explained my issue and the guy understood. He said, ‘This should not be a problem.’ Ten minutes later he had re-installed a whole bundle of software that I had managed to bungle. I asked him what I owed him and he said, ‘How about a handshake?’ That is customer service.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For at least a couple of years I have promised myself that my next computer would be an Apple. Even if it meant that the dour, set-in-my-ways, cranky prick that I am would have to learn a new language---that would be my pick.

In the long run, all the computers will produce the same result. But at Apple, should one screw up something or if the computer goes blooey---one speaks to an Apple techie whose first language is English.

The Genius Bar was also a major draw.

Your first person, first rate experience confirms my thesis and cinches the case.

Thanks for the testimony.

Question o-thority,

March 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Thom Schuyler said...

Joannah - Thank you for leaving that nice message. I welcome you here anytime. Is the linuxmemory.net your blog site?

March 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home