Thursday, June 04, 2009

MSNBC versus THE TRUTH

I am not a fan of cable news regardless the slant, bias or point of view. It is all vile spew including few facts, little accuracy and loud-mouthed spin doctoring. (Perhaps a network would be wise to produce a reality show based on news reporting – that would be a refreshing twist.) Of course, given my personal political views I do my best to keep the remote from clicking to MSNBC – the station my sweet wife prefers for her news. Given that network’s daily and nightly whooping by the Fox News Corporation I am perplexed why they continue to add liberal hosts to their roster. The Ed Show, for instance. What overpaid, left-leaning pecker head decided that this was an interesting personality imbued with a sharp intellect and inquisitive mind? They are gaining no ground with these decisions. Recent data shows that from 5:00 PM (EST) through midnight on a typical Monday-Thursday each hour-long segment has Fox beating MSNBC in viewers by a ratio of 2.5 to 1 (For every 10 people watching MSNBC 25 are tuned into Fox.) Now, don’t get me wrong – I am not a fan of Fox news. With the exception of Bret Baier and Greta Van Sustren I find their roster of hosts to be little more than partisan dancing clowns doing dark tricks on armed unicycles. However, I have so little regard for their MSNBC counterparts that I have been reduced to the adolescent posture of refusing to mention or scribe their names. But what do these statistics mean or matter? Well, I think it means that U.S citizens who are trying to pay attention prefer and trust the pronouncements emanating from Fox – clearly a very conservative news network. Whether they prefer the hosts, the slant, the graphics or the presentation they are voting with their remote controls and choosing FNC by a significant margin. (If a presidential race ended with margins like these that candidate would be king-like.) But for me the real problem of accessing honest and accurate news persists. I do appreciate the no-nonsense delivery of Lou Dobbs and tend to trust his instincts for bullshit. But his is a show of commentary more than simple news reporting and typically has a narrow focus. Can anyone help me with this dilemma?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home