Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Joe PA

I am a Pennsylvania boy with tears in my eyes, outrage in my mind and confusion in my heart. Joe PA is gone and from what I’ve read, heard and seen these past few days, this is the appropriate outcome. Nonetheless, where the hell do we place this in the catalog of horrible decisions and an otherwise remarkable, untarnished career?
One despicable pervert, of course, is the underlying culprit in all of this. His unspeakable actions have caused the unimaginable heartache of countless young men and their families. Justice must be served to this ugly perpetrator and mercy and healing, somehow, to his innocent victims. How this happens is yet to be determined. I trust it will happen swiftly.For these young victims, I hope they come to understand that the citizens of this country fully comprehend that your innocence was violated. Find ways to remove the shame that you may be suffering and know we are on your side. We may not have had the same experiences, but we all have our own, deep shame. Come join us in the healing. 
As for Joe Paterno, this is another tragedy. I am not suggesting this is a greater tragedy than visited upon Sandusky’s victims. Joe’s lack of judgment may go down in history as a flagrant violation of his own ethical standards. It has certainly ended and forever tarnished an otherwise stellar record: that is my confusion; at least for the moment. Give us PA folks a little time to process losing a guy that meant so much to us.

2 Comments:

Blogger mayorjones said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger mayorjones said...

Knowing you were from PA, I came to your site just to read what you had to say, and in some ways, I'm seeing like many of us, you don't really know what to say.

This story is ugly in every direction you look and there are absolutely no winners. Even if you were someone that hated PSU for whatever reason, I find it hard to believe you could find any joy in this.

Dwight Jones, Waukon, Iowa

November 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home