Friday, October 01, 2010

Mr. Stewart: I Don't Get It

I believe I may be the only American that thinks Jon Stewart isn’t funny. I don’t get him at all. He is not only not funny he is obnoxious, simple-minded, anti-intellectual and gets away with murder. What is it about him that so many people find so witty and hilarious?
First of all, he’s a mugger. Curly and Shemp were muggers and they did it very well – 60 years ago. Secondly, he is obsessed with over-obvious notions and responses. He is possessed of little or no irony in any of his observations. Thirdly, he represents nothing. His is a vacuous, skip-to-the-beat mind devoid of interesting opinion or commentary. Finally, he is unable to define himself. He is attempting to be part clown, part satirist and part political pundit. In so doing he misses on all three.
Not unlike the rest of our culture our taste for true wit and brilliant comedy has been dumbed down to a new common denominator. That’s not funny.

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Headed Stepchild said...

Our culture has been dumbed down by Snooki and the Kardashians and this nightmarish obsession with irrational people. If anything, I view Stewart as a break from Paris and Lindsey's latest trip to rehab.
I suppose it would make it easier if I knew what episode you were watching when you came to your conclusion. Some of his bits work, and some don't. And, sometimes, he hits the nail on the head so hard it makes you stop laughing and start thinking.

Regardless, we still dig your music--big time.

October 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger Thom Schuyler said...

Zoe - No specific episode. I have never witnessed him hitting the nail on the head. Personally, I just find him to be small and irrelevant. I m grateful that you have found something to enjoy in my songs. Thom

October 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home